Sweet and sour flavors go hand-in-hand for Lemon Sour Mangosteen. Garcinia intermedia is a rare fruit tree native to Northwestern regions of South America, through Central America and Mexico.
This rare tropical evergreen fruit tree is a Mangosteen relative with unmatched vigor. It’s fast-growing, adaptable, and full of potential. The Lemon Drop Mangosteen bears sweet fruit that easily ranks among some of our favorite mangosteen varieties. Like all Garcinias, the Lemon Drop Mangosteen has a really unique tropical flavor that is sweet and tart and pretty impossible to stop eating once you get started.
You can eat Lemon Drop Mangosteen right from the tree, or save the fruits for a rejuvenating snack. If you’re feelin’ jazzy, Lemon Drop Mangosteen juice can invigorate any freshly-poured cocktail, too. Simply peel the small yellow shell to uncover the round bundles of fun inside to welcome a refreshing tart twist in the peak of Mangosteen season. The taste falls somewhere between pineapple and citrus.
The mangosteen is one of the slowest-growing of the tropical tree fruits but it is also one of the longest living. Seedling trees normally require from 10-15 years to fruiting. The mangosteen is a dioecious evergreen tree, 6-25m high, with a straight trunk, up to 25-35cm in diameter and symmetrically arranged branches which form a regular, pyramidal-shaped crown.
***Mangosteen is very sensitive to cold weather. To increase your success chances, we recommend to grow it in a container, so you can provide shade and protection from cold weather***
This tree is propagated from seedlings.
From: UF / IFAS - University of Florida
Mangosteen Climate RequirementsBecause the tree is truly tropical and cold-sensitive, the best region to grow mangosteen is south Florida especially Miami Dade. It has been reported that mangosteen was first planted in Miami in 1977. Many people have grown or tried to grow mangosteen trees in Florida but not in a large scale. Mangosteen tree can be injured if the air temperature falls below 40 ᵒF. Sometimes temperature falls under this range even in the warmest part of the Florida. Therefore, cultivation of mangosteen is limited to the warmest parts of the southern coastal region of Florida like Keys.
The info below are our standard sizes. Subject to change without notice.
|Tree Height*||Container Size||Box (inches)||Months in |
|1-2 feet||1 Gallon - 6" tall||6x6x24||6|
|2-3 feet||2 Gallon - 8" tall||9x9x36||6-12|
|3 feet||3 Gallon - 10" tall||10x10x36||6-12|
|3-4 feet||7 Gallon - 12" tall||12x12x48||12+|
* Tree height includes the container. Sizes may vary and are subject to change without notice.
This depends on the type of tree and the propagation method used to produce the tree. Below is general information regarding the time it takes for your tree to produce fruit.
They typically produce fruit in 1-2 years. They are copies of matured trees.
AIR LAYERED TREES
They typically produce fruit in 1-2 years. They are copies of matured trees.
TREES PROPAGATED BY CUTTINGS
They typically produce fruit in 1-2 years. They are copies of matured trees
TREES PROPAGATED BY SEEDLINGS
They typically produce fruit in 6-7 years. There are many exceptions to this rule. For example: Papaya: 1-2 years, Sugar Apple: 1-2 years, Custard Apple: 1-2 years, Soursop: 1-2 years
We are currently offering FREE SHIPPING to customers in certain states, with a minimum purchase requirement. Please use our check out to see the shipping options available to you.
Free shipping IS NOT available for other locations at the moment, as we have recently experience significant increases in labor, shipping and packing costs.
We have negotiated a deep discounted rate with FedEx ground or FedEx Express.
For customers in Hawaii and Alaska and other territories under the control of the United States, but not part of the contiguous United States, the only shipping method available is FedEx Express Service.
Our trees are shipped in carton boxes. The preferred shipping carrier is: FedEx Home Delivery / Ground / Express
Yes. Our nursery is certifided to ship trees to California. We cannot ship citrus trees to CA, as it is NOT permitted by USDA regulations.
We ship our trees using custom-made carton boxes. Our trees typically ship via FedEx ground. Depending on your destination, it can take 2-7 days for your tree to arrive. 99% of the time, the trees arrive alive to their final destination. Our trees are shipped in a container with soil.
Most fruit trees can be grown in a container. Follow the recommendations below...
- Start small with a tree in a 3 or 7 gallon container
- Every 6-10 months transplant the tree to a higher capacity container
- The ideal container size to grow fruit trees is 10-15 gallons, so you can move it indoors during the winter months, if necessary
- Make sure your container has draining holes on the bottom of the container, so that any excess water can drain
Follow the simple instructions below to plant your tree on the ground...
- Choose a sunny area for planting with about 15 feet radius of clear space
- Dig a hole on the ground... twice the height of the container, if possible
- Do not mix any potting soil, manure, fertilizer or anything with the soil when you plant
- Take the tree out of the container by laying in the side and slipping the container off, if may be necessary to push and tap the bottom of the plastic container
- It is usually necessary to put some of the removed dirt back into the hole
- Bury the root ball so the soil level is the same as it was in the container
- Leave a mound around the tree for form a basin, fill with water, washing the soil into any empty pockets around the root ball
- Now is the time to fertilize. Be extra careful because trees are very susceptible to burning with excessive fertilizing
- Recommended fertilizer: 8-3-9 (or similar), with manganese, iron and zinc. Scatter one level tablespoon per foot of tree height (do not apply fertilizer if the tree is flowering or during cold spells of temperature below 60 degrees)
- You can spread mulch around the base of the tree, but leave the trunk area uncovered so the tree can breath. Mulch helps to retain humidity
Our warranty only covers the tree arriving alive and in fair condition. If you receive your tree in a condition in which the tree may not survive, please take a few pictures and submit them via email to our address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do this within 48 hours or receiving your tree. We will review your email and get back to you within a few days. Remember to Keep the box in case we ask you to ship the plant back to us. Our warranty does not apply once you have planted the tree on the ground.
We get a lot of requests for pictures. Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate this request, as we stock over 10,000 trees in different sizes. Completing the task of sending a picture of a specific tree to a customer can take 1-2 hours per request. And this same tree can be sold the very same day to another customer. Fortunately, our web site has pictures of most of our trees, which are remarkably like the actual tree that you will receive.
We recommend granular fertilizer for most of the tropical fruit trees.
You can purchase the fertilizer on our website thru the link below...
Fertilizer for Fruit Trees Granular N-P-K- with Micronutrients Fersol, 1 Pound Bag
- Fersol 10-10-10 is formulated to boost growth of tropical fruit trees
This total package of N-P-K along with key micronutrients matches the needs of your plants over the growth cycle
- Superior control and dependable nutrient release for the most effective feeding to grow strong healthy plants
- Last up to 60 days. Sprinkled on top of potting medium. Application rates on package label
- Great for orchids, bromeliads, nursery, foliage, bedding plant, potted plants, and landscape plants
- Application 3 GAL Containers: Scatter 1/4 pound of fertilizer around the tree 4-6 times per year (do not apply during winter, or when tree is flowering)
Application for trees planted on ground: Small trees: 1-2 pounds. Larger trees: 2-3 pounds around the tree and away from the trunk, 4-6 times per year
- (do not apply during winter, or when tree is flowering)
May also be applied by foliar sprays
Most of the plants I get from tis vender are healthy, good looking plants.
My 2 tree’s arrived in great shape! The care guide is very helpful! I will be a return customer!
Healthy, well packaged and quality of plant is simply gorgeous. This is a A+ quality merchant. Thank you.
This is Lemon Mangosteen, not a Purple Mangosteen, please correct the picture ... Thank you so much